Thursday, March 12, 2009

Preferances continued.

In this update I will continue with a few of my co-workers, their choice of facial hair styles and the stories behind them.

This older co-worker has a rather odd style very close to a horseshoe moustache with a soul patch. When I asked him the reason behind this particular style he responded with "It just seemed to fit my face at the time." As we continued to talk he explained that he was retired from the Navy with more then 20 years and he was not allowed to wear facial hair other then the moustache. He refereed to it as repressed self expression of his face. I inquired about his wife's response and he stated she really did not care what he had on his face. When I asked about how others have responded he said he gets a mixed response depending on the circumstances. He cleans it as part of his normal routine and said the important part for him was maintaining clear and defined outlines.

Photobucket

This middle-aged co-worker has a circle beard that he prefers to keep shorn. As we discussed the details he related that he has had facial hair since a very early age leading to a somewhat permanent choice of the same style. When I asked why he has not tried others he stated he really didn't know so many existed. His preference for keeping it shorn is a result of his wife's preference. She does not mind the hair but it feel that it could irritate her face if unkempt. Surprisingly he uses a small handful of hair conditioner to maintain a soft feeling about once a month.

Photobucket

While none of the subject I spoke with ever mentioned religious convictions or preferences I do see orthodox practitioners maintaining traditions. I did make attempts to speak with them and photograph them, they declined my invitations. I am curious now what other areas of our culture include specific facial hair styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment